Friday, March 19, 2010

Food Fun Friday


Food Fun Friday Begins!

I started out with an easy recipe today from the "Cook Yourself Thin Faster" cookbook. I spent a lovely afternoon shopping alone so I picked a very easy meal. I picked an easy one since I didn't get home until about five and wasn't really feeling like being in the kitchen. I was pretty pleased with the outcome. I made a healthy cheddar melt with parmesan mashed potatoes for the side dish. The whole plate was just shy of 400 calories. I was surprised with how filling it was too.

The cheddar melt is so simple. The first step is to core and slice a Granny Smith apple, and using a teaspoon of butter lightly brown the slices on medium/high heat. After browning the apple slices remove them from the skillet. The next step is to use the same pan with a spray of cooking spray to build your cheddar melts. The recipe calls for pumpernickel bread but if you are not a fan the book suggests using whole wheat. I went for the pumpernickel. The next and final step is just assembling the sandwich and treating it just like a grilled cheese. So it was slice of pumpernickel, 1/2 tablespoon of honey mustard, slice of low fat cheddar cheese, apple slices, second slice of cheddar, second slice of pumpernickel. The recipe suggests a minute for each side in the skillet, and I followed the suggestion and the sandwich was perfect. My husband was skeptical of the apple slices but ultimately he liked the sandwich. In his opinion the honey mustard balanced the flavors.

The mashed potatoes were a bit of a cheat. I used a bag of Steam and Mash potatoes and simply added some salt, pepper, grated parmesan, and nonfat milk while I mashed. They were okay, not my best work, but for the calorie and fat content it was filling.

I'm planning on trying some desserts next. I have two recipes I'm trying to decide on, each promises something to satisfy your sweet tooth for less than 100 calories a serving. We'll see about that.

I'm feeling good about my progress this week, but we'll see what the scale has to say on Monday. I hopeful but trying to keep my expectations realistic so I'm not disappointed. Disappointment has been my biggest enemy in the past.
I am well aware that the picture of the finished product doesn't really do it justice, but trust me it tasted pretty good. I tried to pretty it up a bit with the extra apple slices as a garnish, but it really wasn't working. My plates are pretty though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me all about it.