Sunday, June 6, 2010

Housewives in Print


Icie and I made a trip to Target on Friday.  Our intentions were  only to pick up a replacement tube of  My Little Pony toothpaste, we had lost a tube somewhere in the unpacking from our Memorial Day trip.  I of course found the missing tube as soon as we got home with the new tube of Miss Thing's preferred flavor.  I have professed my love for all things Bravo many times and on our Target trip I fed my obsession a little more.  I love, love, love The Real Housewives of New Jersey.  I especially love, love, love Teresa and Joe.  They are complete stereotypes and unapologetic about it all.  So if you are a fan of the show, you can imagine the twinge of guilt I felt as I picked up Danielle Staub's memoir.  Danielle is the black sheep of the Jersey Housewives.  The new season has shown even more that this woman's grasp on reality is clearly extremely loose.  I was just so curious to see what she had to say for herself.  I devoured the book in twenty four hours. 
The book is clearly the work of a pathological liar.  It is peppered with the phrases that are the mark of someone used to changing their story.  It is written in such a way that she is "covered" should someone question her timeline or perspective on any given aspect of her story. 
Almost everything in the book comes back to her obsession with material things.  The underlying sense of entitlement is disturbing.  There are descriptions of the abuse she suffered as a child that read as something so cliche and rehearsed it's hard to develop any kind of sympathy for her as a victim.  There are also stories she relays from her time in prison awaiting a bail hearing due to involvement with a drug deal gone bad.  The prison stories seem like something you would see in a bad Lifetime movie. 
The men in her life are almost all interchangeable.  Some are good, some are bad, all are obsessed with her.  All of the men seem to see her as the one who got away, at least in her opinion.  All of the men want to protect her, shower her with gifts, have children with her, marry her yet they all turn her once again into the victim. 
I finished the book with the conclusion that the image she portrays on the show is truly accurate. 
I also bought Teresa's book "Skinny Italian" and I cannot wait to try one of her recipes.  I'm having a really hard time deciding which one to try first.  I plan on deciding and getting all my ingredients on my Friday grocery trip, so with any luck we'll have a Fun Food Friday "Skinny Italian" style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me all about it.