Thursday, September 30, 2010

Was That It?

Icie and I played nurse for my mom a few weeks back when she broke her foot.  We packed up the car and headed back to Pittsburgh.  My dad had a business trip scheduled during my mom's first week on her "crunches" as my niece Ella calls them.  Icie and I were basically around to keep my parents dogs under control and help get my mom her paper and her tea in the mornings.  My mom is so independent that's about all she'd let me do. I had some scary visions while she balanced herself on her crutches and cut up tomatoes for sandwiches.  That's my mom though, she is always taking care of everyone else.  You can't stop her. 
My parents had tickets to see The Phantom of the Opera right after my dad got back from his business trip.  My mom wasn't quite ready for it.
I was called up to the big leagues.  Sadly the last time I had been to the Benedum Center was to see Ashlee Simpson.  It was another lifetime, go ahead laugh at me, I deserve it. The Benedum is beautiful and our seats were amazing. My parents have gotten into musicals lately.  My dad is now a self proclaimed "theater snob". 
I had high hopes with the first scene.  The scenery was amazing.  I was mesmerized by how they made a stage look like so many different things right before my eyes. I appreciated the talent that it took to put the whole production together.
When intermission hit I looked at my dad.  He looked at me and asked me what I thought. I didn't want to seem like an ingrate.  I tried to praise the abilities and the scenery. My dad cut me off with some kind of negative statement.  I'm not sure what it was now, but it was clear that we were on the same page.  I  let my guard down and cracked some jokes. My dad agreed and basically apologized for this being my first theater experience.  My parents had just seen an amazing production of Mary Poppins in D.C. and he was hoping this would be just as amazing.  We both kinda thought that something that had been around as long as the Phantom has been would have been amazing. 
Suddenly my regrets from high school about giving up choir and never joining the drama club were completely lifted.  I'm too cynical for that kind of theater.  I just don't get it.  I can appreciate the work and dedication that goes into a production of that magnitude, it's just not for me. 
So check musical theater off the list of possible "now whats".  Maybe someday I'll decide what I want to be when I grow up. 
The night wasn't a complete loss though, I actually finally had a reason to rock these bad boys.

2 comments:

  1. I saw Starlight Express many years agao and spent the whole time scratching my head like what the french toast is this. Though I did see Rent too and that was beyond awesome. Guess it just depends..

    Glad you finally got to rock the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im a big ole' musical theatre and choir dork. Like, big time.

    ps. i love those shoes =)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about it.