Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thank You Random Yuppie Mom For The Reality Check

So, today I had a revelation. I came to a conclusion that led to revelation that may shock regular readers of this blog.  I am... wait for it... wait for it...

Never setting foot in the Gymboree Outlet again.

I know you are all shocked, I'll give you a minute to pull it together. Ready?  Okay I'm sorry for the shocker.  I just wanted to make sure you were all paying attention. 

What set off this monumental decision?  How about that the last two times I've ventured into the store I have wanted to throw down.  The last time I got stuck behind a group of women out and about with their bad mommy haircuts that kept buying more until they hit their next level of Gymbucks.  The did this with well over two hundred dollars of merchandise while I waited patiently in line behind them.  The poor woman working the register kept trying to get them to step aside until they had made their final decisions but these women were relentless. I was seething by the time I got to the front of the line.  These women had finished their first round of shopping and earning Gymbucks when one tried to cut the line for a few more purchases.  I'm sure the look on my face was the only thing that made her back off.  I don't think she wanted this deuce plus to break her skinny ass.
Today a woman already disgusted with the fact that the store did not have a dedicated breast feeding room pushed my buttons.  She actually scolded my child.  Icie and I went to the store early when I knew it would not be crowded.  I was going to give her a chance at freedom to play in the little play area while I shopped.  I dressed her in her squeak shoes so I'd have a heads up by squeaks should she be on the move.  I was so proud of her.  The fifteen minutes or so we were in the store, Icie played and watched Yo Gabba Gabba.  As I was checking out the woman already peeved that she had to breast feed in the curtained off changing room walked by Icie with her maybe 7 month old in a stroller.  Icie walked over to the stroller and started babbling away to the baby.  I thought it was adorable. She was talking away and I caught a couple of babies in her rant.  As I was moving towards her to move her away from the stroller and back to the play area, Icie started reaching towards the baby that was smiling away at her.  I started to say, "Gentle Icie" when Icie ever so slightly touched the baby's hand.  Icie was pleased with herself .  She smiled and shouted, "BABY". 
I was about two feet away at that point and about to pull her away and smile and apologize for Icie being a bit too friendly.  That's when the woman looked down at Icie at snapped, "Don't touch her!" 
I was taken aback for a moment and then I kind of smiled to myself.  My daughter is not phased when I try to discipline her with snapping at her. What made this lady think her snapping would phase my child, silly lady.  I made the decision in a split second that a better "revenge" if you will for this lady was to become space cadet mom. 
I did not remove Icie from the situation. I did not smile and apologize.  I told Icie "That's not niiiice, don't touch that baaaby" in a sing songy voice.  I sang, " No, no,no, nooooooooo you silly girl", and then I finished checking out at the register and hoped that Icie would reach for the baby again with the fingers that were now solidly being sucked on and were slathered in slobber.  Icie lost interest and walked away, back to the play area.  I was disappointed. 
Luckily Icie is stocked for awhile with clothes so this boycott won't really start to hit me until spring or summer.  I see a lot of online orders in my future.  The deals are not worth the inevitable annoyance I get when I go to the outlets.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! And how dare she snap at your kid?! Little kids are fascinated with babies. She's probably one of *those* moms who puts a tag on her stroller that says "Please don't touch". Kids are kids. It's not like YOU went up to her baby to repeatedly touch her. OH! And the whole peeved because there was no specific BFing area? Sounds like SOMEbody isn't entirely comfortable with their roll as mother. Oooh. I could go on and on about this. But I'll stop there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I can comment right now...the shock is too great!

    That's the same at the outlets here, it's all stuck up, ladies who lunch and they have more entitlement than any one person should possess.

    Is it wrong that I was really hoping Icie was going to touch that baby again?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about it.