Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tipping The Cup For My Homie (Polish Style)

I got an email this morning, one of my uncles passed away.  I unfortunately am not really close with any of my extended family.  There are occasional birthday cards and Christmas cards, but the connections are not all that strong.  I was sad because he was still young, only 54, but that was about all I could really muster.  That made me feel kinda crappy. 
I decided to make some comfort food, and since Uncle Stan was from the Polish side of my family I thought it was high time to share with you my easy version of haluski. 
I have no idea where or when I learned to make haluski and I have no idea if my recipe is authentic.  I'm just telling you that I'm half Polish so it's authentic, bitches  (removed for my mommy who says that my blog is quality and using that word makes me sound "New Jersey Shore"). 


All you will need is a bag of extra wide egg noodles, a head of cabbage, a couple of small onions, butter, and vinegar.  If you can find actual haluski noodles grab those, but the extra wide egg noodles work just the same.  The onions and vinegar are completely a personal preference thing.  I had one white onion left and bag of yellows, I just wanted to get rid of the lone white onion in the fridge so added it for a little extra oniony-ness.  I know you are amazed by my culinary knowledge, don't hate.
The butter, cabbage, and onions go into a skillet while the noodles boil.  I typically shred the cabbage but today since I was lazy and throwing this all in the crock pot until dinner I just did a coarse chop on the onions and cabbage.
After I drain the noodles on a non crock pot day I just add them right into the skillet and toss everything around.  I let everything hang out on the stove top on low heat.  I toss it around from time to time and add vinegar and more butter to taste.
Since today was a crock pot day, I drained my noodles but not completely. I left a little tiny bit of water with them and tossed them in the crock pot.  I then just topped them with the contents of the skillet.  It's going to sit there until dinner time on low.  I'll add some more vinegar and some salt and pepper to taste when it's time to serve and then yum!
So tonight at dinner we'll dig in and give Uncle Stan his propers.

3 comments:

  1. I would totally go for this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my hubs would turn up his nose at the mere thought of this recipe. LOL Maybe I'll try it when he's out of town one day. Or one time I'm super bugged at him. You know. Which ever one comes first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm sounds good. Jefferton is half polish so he's all about it.
    Sorry to hear about your Uncle =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your uncle. 54 is way too young.

    I love cabbage noodle! That's what my friend's HUngarian born father used to call it. My husband, who is partly Lithuanain looooooves it.(and so do it)

    At first, when you wrote "haluski", I thought you were going to make "halupki" which is the Lithuanian word stuffed cabbage leaves.

    Love it! Gonna make it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about it.